While the World Series has always been baseball’s biggest stage, the pressure-packed playoffs have also produced heroes and goats from both circuits. These (32) postseason ticket stubs were issued between 1974 and 2000. Keys include: (3) 1986 ALCS Game 5: issued at Anaheim Stadium for the drama-filled contest in which Boston staved off elimination (all present VG-EX); (3) 2000 NLDS Game 3: issued at Shea Stadium for the 13-inning battle that culminated on Benny Agbayani’s walk-off homer (all present EX). More on our website.
1974 NLCS Game 1: issued at Three Rivers Stadium for the series opener in which the Dodgers prevailed, 3-0 as Joe Ferguson contributed two hits and an RBI. Voucher presents (GD) with creases and a handwritten notation on the obverse.
1977 NLCS Game 2: issued at Dodger Stadium for a 7-1 triumph in which Dusty Baker hit a grand slam for the hosts. Ticket presents (VG-EX).
(2) 1979 ALCS Game 4: issued at Anaheim Stadium as the Baltimore Orioles won their fourth pennant in 11 years and first since 1971. Pat Kelly launched a three-run homer in support of Birds lefty Scott McGregor. While both vouchers feature sharp edges/corners, one presents (EX) and one is (VG-EX).
1979 NLCS Game 3: issued at Three Rivers Stadium as the host Bucs prevailed, 7-1 behind the longball prowess of series MVP Willie Stargell (who went on to garner similar accolades in the World Series). Ticket present (VG) and has a handwritten notation of the obverse.
(3) 1982 ALCS Game 2: issued at Anaheim Stadium as the host Angels took a commanding two games-to-none advantage with a 4-2 victory in which Hall of Famers Reggie Jackson and Paul Molitor homered. The Angels were to drop all three subsequent contests in Milwaukee to become the first team in the best of five format era (1969-1984) to squander a two games-to-none lead. All (3) present (VG-EX).
1986 ALCS Game 3: issued at Anaheim Stadium as John Candelaria outlasted Oil Can Boyd to give the Halos a two games-to-one advantage. Ticket presents (VG-EX).
(4) 1986 ALCS Game 4: issued at Anaheim Stadium for what was billed as a pitchers dual between Roger Clemens and Don Sutton. Clemens took a 3-0 advantage into the bottom of the ninth before unraveling and giving way to Calvin Schiraldi (who promptly plunked Brian Downing with the bases loaded and allowed the tying run to cross with two outs). California went on to prevail in 11 innings to take a three games-to-one series advantage. Two present (EX); two present (VG-EX).
(3) 1986 ALCS Game 5: issued at Anaheim Stadium for one of the most memorable postseason contests in baseball annals. Facing elimination, Boston tallied four times in the top of the ninth, only to allow the Angles to tie the game in the home half of the ninth and load the bases with only one out. When the dust settled, the Red Sox prevailed, 7-6 in 11 innings and went on to win Games 6 and 7 in Boston to advance to a Fall Classic that unfolded to showcase more drama (believe it or not) than the ALCS roller coaster ride. All (3) tickets present (VG-EX).
1990 NLCS Game 4: issued at Three Rivers Stadium as the Reds triumphed, 5-3 behind the pitching of fireballer Jose Rijo to take a commanding three games-to-one lead. Voucher presents (GD) with multiple creases.
(2) 1991 NLCS Game 2: issued at Three Rivers Stadium as 21-year-old southpaw held the Bucs scoreless over 8-1/3 innings to help the Braves to a 1-0 shutout that evened the series at a game apiece. Both vouchers present (EX-MT).
1991 NLCS Game 4: issued at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium for the second of four one-run decisions, a 10-inning battle in which Mike LaValliere drove home the winning run to even the series at two games apiece. Ticket presents (VG).
(2) 1991 NLCS Game 6: issued at Three Rivers Stadium as southpaw Steve Avery continued his postseason mastery, extending his scoreless streak to 16-1/3 innings. Atlanta staved off elimination and forced Game 7 with a run in the top of the ninth. Both tickets present (EX-MT).
(2) 1991 NLCS Game 7: issued at Three Rivers Stadium for the decisive game in which John Smoltz authored the fourth shutout in the series. Both vouchers present (EX-MT).
(2) 1992 NLCS Game 5: issued at Three Rivers Stadium as the host Pirates remained alive with a 7-1 win in which starter Bob Walk spared the bullpen with a complete game effort. One ticket shows (EX) quality; one presents (VG-EX).
1998 ALDS Game 1: issued at Jacobs Field as the Red Sox erupted for three home runs in an 11-3 rout (only to lose the next three and extend their “curse” to 80 years). Ticket presents (VG-EX).
(3) 2000 NLDS Game 3: issued at Shea Stadium for a 13-inning affair decided by Benny Agbayani’s walk-off home run. All (3) tickets present (EX).
(2) 2000 NLCS Game 4: issued at Shea Stadium for a high-scoring affair that saw the Mets prevail, 10-6, despite being out-hit and out-homered. One presents (EX-MT); one presents (EX).